Dubai Marina & MAG 218 Topics


ArabicFrançais/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified
Copy Arabic link to URL bar or open in new tab.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Why the MAG 218?

BD (Website Manager)

See also What's in a Name?

There is an amazing choice of new real estate, not only in the Marina but all over Dubai. Of course, price is a factor but at whatever price (above, say Dh 500,000) there is still a wide range of properties to chose from. A more problematic issue is how to find all the listings as there isn't any central clearing house.

I began my search with the main developers--Emaar, Nakheel, Damac and Dubai Properties. I thought I might be offered a large selection of available properties and sites to choose from. Unfortunately, it seems that isn't how it works. Each developer had but one or two properties on offer at any given site. I was shown, for example, the Falcon Tower by Nakheel at Jumeirah Lake Towers. The building was attractive and JLT seemed like a well-contained, well-designed modern community. My interest was piqued.

When I had initially walked into the Nakheel office I wasn't sure what I wanted or at which development, although I was interested in a one-bedroom unit that would more or less fit my budget. When I left a short time later all that was really presented to me was the Jumeirah Lake Towers project. The same thing happened at Emaar and the other developers' offices. With the vast multitude of buildings coming up and under plan why was I being shown so little by the developers?

I have yet to come upon an answer to this question. After my visit to Nakheel, however, I began checking the property ads in magazines and newspaper, where at last I found a wider listing. The trouble with this, however, was that there was not enough detail in the listings to determine what was suitable. It seemed that I'd either have to call dozens of agents or make the rounds to offices all over Dubai.

My earlier visit to Nakheel had prejudiced me toward the Jumeirah Lake Towers. If not Nakheel's Falcon Tower I was sure that it needed to be another JLT tower. Asteco had several listings in the property ads which matched my budget range, so they were among the first I called.


Nakheel's Falcon Tower at Jumeirah Lake Towers

As it turned out I was persuaded on the advantages of a Marina lifestyle as oppossed to living at Jumierah Lake Towers. It was modern and swanky. On my own I came to appreciate what appeared to be the "functionality" of the MAG 218, combined with the convenience and potentially resort-like atmosphere of the Marina. Among other things a proposed rail transit line would also run through it. Comparing two apartments I had selected, I reluctantly decided to trade tranquil views of the Jumeirah Islands for views of dazzling high-rises running the length of the Dubai Marina waterway. With thoughts such as these my choice was made.

I still was not shown or offered any real range of projects to choose from by Asteco or by any of the other agents I phoned. Perhaps there are some out there who do so but before I could get around to checking I had already made up my mind.

More on the question of finding the right property.

Return to MAG 218 Community homepage.

2 Comments:

  • I totally agree with you here. My father introducted me to some great deal at the greens. When I called I found out it was sold-out two years ago.

    Then I primarily used satellite pictures to see where I might want to stay for longer than 24 hours and I immediately knew 'it had to be next to the water'

    So I narrowed-down the choices to Jumeirah Lakes and Dubai Marina. I looked at several properties but found choice at the developers was severly limited. (did not know about the resale market back then)

    5 months later I own 2 marina properties. I plan to keep them and maybe rent them out. I hope in a couple of years time the price will go up so I can sell the smaller one with a little profit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/04/2005 5:19 PM  

  • I think being nearer the water (the sea in particular) will offer the added benefit of clearer skies. The skies in Dubai just aren't blue anymore, probably due to all the construction. Hopefully sea breezes and the eventual completion of the major projects will bring clearer skies to the Dubai Marina.

    By Blogger B.D., at 8/06/2005 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home